Awakenings Sustainability sheet

for artists

We love to dance together on our beautiful planet for many more years. We are well aware of our environmental impact and we intend to make our festivals as sustainable as possible.

As Awakenings we welcome more than 300.000 visitors in a year, coming from more than 80 different countries. We are reaching a young and diverse audience which we hope to inspire to make conscious choices.

Below, you will find an overview of our sustainability actions and goals, starting with a special part regarding artist production.

Sustainability actions concerning Artists

Artist Catering

Our beloved artist festival catering is done by Bruno, a well-known Italian chef. His menu is completely vegetarian and vegan.


With our huge line-ups, we have artists coming from all over the world. We ask artists and their crew to consider their way of traveling and taking a train or electric vehicle when possible.

Our artists' shuttles from the airport & hotel to the festival are electric when the location allows us to.

Please compensate for your Co2 emissions via this page.


We have a mandatory guestlist donation for all our guests. For each event, we choose a different, mostly local, social charity to support.

We also have a longlasting partnership with Bridges for Music, a non-profit organization gathering key players of the music industry to support its responsible development in developing countries. Click here to view all their projects.


We ask all our hotel partners to consider the environment and to collab with initiatives like Hotels for Trees.

Sustainability actions concerning production and visitors


Since 2015, our menu is 95% vegetarian, with only organic meat for the other 5%. From 2022, we offer a 100% vegetarian menu at all our events.


We work with a deposit system on all cups, cans and bottles. At the entrance our visitors receive a free recycle token which they can use at the bar when ordering drinks. All empty cups / cans / bottles are returned to the bar for a new drink or recycle token. Doing this, we make sure that all that is collected is clean and is being sorted in the right container. After the event, each material is being recycled.


We intend to create as little waste as possible and ask our partners to do the same. We sort all different waste in seperate containers; PET / Can / Cap / Paper / Glass / Organic / Plastic / Wood. This way, all waste can be recycled. Our PET can be used to make new cups and bottles, making it a circular system. Our tokens are being melted, so they can make new tokens. 95% of signing is being used on all our events year-round and even our wristbands are made out of PET.


We always work with a smart energy plan, maximizing the consumption of energy from the power grid and other renewable sources. For the complete building period of our festivals, we only make use of batteries, which resulted in a diesel decrease of 38% in 2019/2020. In 2019, all stages of Awakenings Festival were also powered by batteries.

In 2022 we start using biofuels, obtained from horticulture, to power our generators. This will drastically cut down our CO2 emission.


We have flush toilets at all our events, which are flushed with gray water (reusable wastewater). By doing so, we save 3kg CO2 per flush.

Respect others

We do not tolerate any form of discrimination or (sexual-) harassment. We have a campaign 'Are you ok?' to appoint this matter to our crew and visitors.


We stimulate our visitors to come to our events by bike or public transportation, which 90% does!

Our crew is using bikes and electrical cars wherever they can and we ask our suppliers to carpool and use biodiesel.

Trees for All

Since 2011, we work together with Trees for All. They plant trees on our behalf, to compensate for our Co2 emission. For our 20-year festival anniversary, 2020 trees were planted, divided in the Netherlands and Uganda. Click here to read more about this project.

We also ask our artists and visitors to compensate for their travel. Click here for more information about how you can make your donation.

National park Spaarnwoude

For over 20 years, National Park Spaarnwoude is the host of Awakenings (Easter) Festival. Together with its residents, we discuss what is needed in the area. Each year, we invest in different parts of the park, to make it thrive at its best!